Hosted QuickBooks Tip of the Week: Converting QuickBooks from Mac to Windows
Many users think QuickBooks for Mac is the same as QuickBooks for Windows – it is not. A QuickBooks for Mac file requires being converted before it can be used in the Windows version on Swizznet.
Here are a few things I recommend to prepare your Mac file for conversion to the Windows version:
- Make sure your company file name contains all letters. No special characters
- Know that any memorized transactions and reports will not transfer in the conversion
- Know that your bank accounts will transfer over as never being reconciled previously
- Run Verify to be sure there are no problems in the file. If there are, run a rebuild and then verify again to be sure it corrected the problems
If the file comes up with no problems, it is ready to be converted. To convert the file:
- Select File>Backup to QuickBooks for Windows
- Save the file in a location that you will remember where it is located
- Copy the .qbb file to the computer you would like to restore it. If you’re using it on Swizznet, you’ll want to copy it to the Z drive.
- Open the QuickBooks for Windows
- Select File>Open or Restore Company
- Select Restore a Backup and then click next
- Click Local Backup and then click next
- Navigate to find the backup file and select the file and click next
- Navigate to find where you want to store the QB file and save it there
- Follow the prompts when it asks to update the file.
I also recommend running a Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet to compare the files to be sure it converted properly.
Please also note that the bank accounts will transfer over as if they have not been reconciled before. You will just need to take the last month’s statement you reconciled and use that ending balance. The system should have all the items that were cleared on your previous bank statement checked for you already. It should balance.
Also, it will not transfer any memorized transactions, reports or custom templates.
If you need any assistance converting your file, please submit a support ticket at http://support.swizznet.com
Please tune in to next week’s QuickBooks tip.